CONTRIBUTORY AGED PARENT (TEMPORARY) VISA
The Australian Government has included ‘contributory’ parent visa categories into the Parent Visa scheme. The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa is a replica of the Contributory Parent (Temporary) subclass 173 Visa, however, is suitable for applicants who are eligible for the Australia age pension.
If you are a parent of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia, the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa will allow you to live in Australia for up to two years.
This visa has a shorter queue for processing and no Assurance of Support is necessary. While there is a much higher application fee to cover the costs of medical expenses, the 884 visa allows applications to spread the costs over the period of time that they are in Australia.
If you are granted this visa, you may be able to apply for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Permanent) Subclass 864 provided you meet the relevant criteria.
WHO CAN SPONSOR ME?
Being a sponsorship based visa, applicants must be sponsored by their child, or spouse of one of their children. It is preferred that your sponsor is above the age of 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, however, there are circumstances where a child under the age of 18 can be your sponsor.
The Government also permits community organisations to sponsor your application provided:
- Your child and the organisation has a relationship
- The senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor you
- The organisation is lawfully established in Australia
- The organisation has been operating in Australia for at least one year
- The organisation is financially stable
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR THE 884 VISA?
In order to satisfy the requirements of the 884 visa, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the following:
- Have an eligible sponsor (see above) who is willing to provide support for at least two years
- Be old enough to qualify for the age pension in Australia
- Meet the balance-of-family test by having
- At least half of your children residing permanently in Australia; or
- The majority of your children residing permanently in Australia
- Meet the health and character requirements
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
As assessment of eligibility occurs on a case-by-case basis and varies on the applicant’s circumstances, therefore the time it takes for the Department to process you application will vary.
It is understandable that there are circumstances that will impact the processing time of your visa applications, which may be out of your control. These include the time for external agencies, namely health and police services, and the Government, to conduct checks and provide supporting information.
While the above circumstances are unavoidable, there are some factors which will ensure you a faster processing time. These include:
- Lodging a complete application, attached with all of the necessary supporting documents.
- Being prompt in responding to any additional information the Department requests.
FEES & COSTS
The cost of this visa is priced from $32,900 and is paid in two instalments ($3,770 and $29,130 respectively). Please note this is only the flat rate and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.
If you wish to add additional family members to your application, an extra fee will be imposed upon your visa application.
ENTITLEMENTS OF THE TEMPORARY CONTRIBUTORY AGED PARENT (VISA)
The temporary Contributory Aged Parent Visa will grant you temporary residence in Australia. It will allow you and your eligible family members:
- Live in Australia for two years
- To travel in and out of Australia as many times as you wish for two years from the date your visa was granted.
- Work and study rights in Australia.
- Apply for permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)